Hotline: +263 771 400 807

Construction starts on Karo platinum project; Total Eren, Chariot to undertake solar PV installation – Creamer Media's Mining Weekly

Select your default regional edition of MiningWeekly.com
Note: When you select a default region you will be directed to the MiningWeekly.com home page of your choice whenever you visit miningweekly.com. This setting is controlled by cookies and should your cookies be re-set you will then be directed to the regional edition associated with the geographic location of our IP address. Should your cookies be reset then you may again use the drop-down menu to select a default region.
Click on the button below to clear your default MiningWeekly.com regional edition
Note: When you clear your default region you will be directed to the MiningWeekly.com home page regional edition associated with the geographic location of our IP address.
Note: Search is limited to the most recent 250 articles. To access earlier articles, click Advanced Search and set an earlier date range.
To search for a term containing the ‘&’ symbol, click Advanced Search and use the ‘search headings’ and/or ‘in first paragraph’ options.
Sponsored by
Please enter the email address that you used to subscribe on Mining Weekly. Your password will be sent to this address.
Sponsored by
separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses
Sponsored by
Construction starts on Karo platinum project; Total Eren, Chariot to undertake solar PV installation
7th December 2022

By: Tasneem Bulbulia
Creamer Media Reporter
ARTICLE ENQUIRY      SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE
Font size: +
France-based renewable energy independent power producer (IPP) Total Eren and Aim-listed Chariot, pursuant to a partnership entered into in November 2021, have agreed to work together on the development, financing, construction and operation of a solar photovoltaic (PV) project that will provide competitive electricity for the Karo platinum project, in Zimbabwe.
The solar PV project is expected to have an initial installed capacity of 30 MW, with a potential extension of up to 300 MW.
Construction of the Karo platinum mine has also started, marked by December 7 official ceremony.
Total Eren and Karo Mining Holdings have previously signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) as the first step towards implementation and signing of a long-term power purchase agreement for the supply of electricity.
Karo and the partners will now pursue the next steps of development of the PV project.
“In partnering with Total Eren on this project, we advance towards our objective of delivering a 1 GW renewable energy pipeline and developing some of the largest sustainable power projects in Africa,” says Chariot Transitional Power CEO Benoit Garrivier.
Dual-listed Tharisa is a 70% shareholder in Karo Mining Holdings which, in turn, indirectly owns 85% of the Karo platinum project. The Zimbabwean government holds the remaining 15%, on a free carry basis.
Chariot CEO Adonis Pouroulis beneficially owns directly or indirectly 58.88% of the total voting rights in Karo Mining Holdings.
In a separate statement, Tharisa says the new mine development will see Karo create about 1 000 permanent jobs and up to 7 000 jobs during the construction phase.
Karo is also in the process of raising funds via a proposed bond listing on the Victoria Falls Stock Exchange. The funds will be used, in part, to fund the development of the Karo platinum project, which has a total capital cost for Phase 1 of $391-million. 
Edited by: Chanel de Bruyn
Creamer Media Senior Deputy Editor Online

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE ARTICLE ENQUIRY
To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Mining Weekly is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za
Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Research Channel Africa
Polity
Sign up for our FREE daily email newsletter

Receive daily sector news alerts
We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.
Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.
Advertising on MiningWeekly.com is an effective way to build and consolidate a company’s profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

source

Leave your thoughts